Jun 13, 2015

A sumptuous slice of the Big Easy at Murray's New Orleans


I’ve always been intrigued by New Orleans, drawn to its surrounding mythology. 

Casket girls. Madame LaLaurie. Anne Rice. Haunted Houses. All-night parties. Mardi Gras. 

The mental picture I have of the Big Easy is strange, elusive, otherworldly, one cultivated by vampire literature and obscure historical tidbits. I’ll be the first to admit, however, that apart from the lore, I know next to nothing about New Orleans. 

We’ve been told many times that to learn about a place, we need to eat its food. If you’re in Cebu and share my curiosity for New Orleans, Murray’s New Orleans is for you!

Murray’s New Orleans, a cozy restaurant nestled in the new wing of Ayala Mall, Cebu, specializes in creole cuisine particularly ribs, steaks and oysters. Its old world feel – shutter windows, carnival masks, iron moldings and red brick accents – sets it apart from surrounding cafes and watering holes. You can’t miss it. 

My dad and I met for lunch at Murray’s New Orleans, Cebu, one Saturday. It was then that I discovered by way of my taste buds the colorful and rich gastronomic culture of the Big Easy. 

New Orleans is well-known for being a melting pot of cultures and this diversity extends to its food. Every bite, every sip is a toothsome reminder of the region’s French, Amerindian, West African, Spanish, Portuguese and Caribbean influences. 

My dad and I shared and enjoyed the following at Murray’s New Orleans: 
Oysters Rockefeller, PHP 295 (about USD 6.21). I loved all the food we had at Murray’s but the oysters were my personal favorite. Every bite was a rich, toothsome explosion of broiled oysters, spinach, Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. I couldn’t have enough of it! Oysters Rockefeller is a signature delicacy of New Orleans and one of Murray’s bestsellers so you shouldn’t miss it!
Baby Back Ribs, PHP 595 for half slab (about USD 13.14). The baby back ribs at Murray’s are imported U.S. pork. They are marinated and slow cooked to perfection. Served with mouthwatering gravy and sides, the meat was tender, juicy and oh so good! I could have devoured the half slab all by myself!
Voodobo Rice, PHP 295 (about USD 6.21). The name of this dish was enough to pique my curiosity and indeed this was one interesting concoction! Basically Voodobo Rice is fried rice but much more filling and, perhaps, exotic. It has chicken and pork adobo, garlic mussels, okra, quail eggs, pork cracklings (chicharon) and garlic chips.
Watermelon Fruit Shake, PHP 125 (about USD 2.76). The watermelon fruit shake was huge. My dad and I could have easily shared it but he had no trouble finishing his drink. I had a sip it and it was refreshing, not too sweet and perfect for the hot midday weather. 
Fresh Lemonade, PHP 105 (about USD 2.32). Lemonades are one of my go-to, non-alcoholic choice of drink when eating out. This one didn’t disappoint. Murray's fresh lemonade was a lovely balance of sweet, tangy and sour. It perfectly offset the richness of the food.

Murray's New Orleans 
4th Level, New Wing, Ayala Center Cebu
Contact: Facebook | Phone: (032)401-2676
Check out their menu and prices here

Good to know: 
  • Murray's New Orleans, Cebu, is located near The Social and Bluebeard's Sea Food Island.
  • Many of their dishes and drinks come in big portions. Be sure to ask your server which ones can be shared!
  • They have happy hour promos and in-store treats! Visit their Facebook for more updates. 

+++

What do you imagine when you think of the Big Easy? Have you dined at Murray’s New Orleans?


19 comments:

  1. Gaahhhh the oysters!!! And the baby back ribs! I should visit soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try this place out! And, yes, the oysters were divine! You should order them when you go to Murray's :)

      Delete
  2. I love it here specially during Happy Hour. Those oysters are making me wanna go out tonight hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must drop by Murray's during Happy Hour next time! I hear the deals are really good!

      Delete
  3. I've been really curious about this place. Thanks for this post I will consider dining there when I get lost in that corner of Ayala. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go na! There aren't many restaurants specializing in New Orleans cuisine in Cebu -- I think this is the first one I've heard of -- so the dining experience is unique :D

      Delete
  4. is this what they call "soul food?" i hope they serve big! hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of their portions are big! Very sulit :D Just ask the server which ones can be shared.

      Delete
  5. Their food looks delicious pero expensive xa ay! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our orders definitely taste as good as they look :D They are a bit pricey but if you want to splurge, this is a yummy place to go ;)

      Delete
  6. Oysters Rockefeller FTW! I'm such a huge fan of anything with lots of cheese so this one will be on top of my "to order" list. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I really love cheese which is why Oysters Rockefeller was an instant favorite :D

      Delete
  7. I have eaten in this place, you should try their version of lechon; unless they've changed the menu though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I suggested the lechon to my dad but he said he already had lechon the day before that's why we got the ribs instead XD thanks for the recommendation! I'll try the lechon next time I visit this place!

      Delete
  8. That's so interesting! I'm doing a job on designing for a New Orleans themed restaurant back home too and eating here will definitely give me the inspiration I need. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! There's a New Orleans-themed resto opening in Bohol? Where's it gonna be? I'm looking forward to it :)

      Delete
  9. Wow! I had tried eating here last March I was not disappointed. I normally don't go for fine dining but after a hectic and grueling weekend, I decided to get the feel of the restaurant. Old world charm at its finest! :) And though it was really a bit pricey, I still enjoyed what I ordered and I also felt valued by the ones serving us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed your time at Murray's! We had the same positive experience, both the food and service were great :) It's definitely a good place to go when you feel like indulging!

      Delete
  10. Im not really an oyster fan, oyster sauce, yes. But thier oyster looks really tempting- I sould try it soon.
    www.kiatcebu.com

    ReplyDelete