May 9, 2015

6 Beach Essentials for Every Goth in Hot Weather

Goths and hot weather ideally shouldn't be in the same sentence. To many of my black-clad brethren "goth in hot weather" is simply a hashtag, something they occasionally use when on vacation; in my case, it's an autobiography.


I live in a country where the seasons are classifiable only as hot or rainy and mostly it's hot and mostly I hate it. The only time I can stand hot weather is when I'm at the beach because, well, I don't have to wear much clothes so the heat becomes tolerable!

Also, here's a secret: I love the beach. Of course, I need to take precautions so I don't shrivel into a pile of ash while enjoying a day under the sun.


Here's a list of things that I need to make my time at the beach or pool more relaxing and fun!
  1. Black wide-brimmed floppy hat. I've been looking for the perfect black floppy hat for ages and I finally found the one at Forever 21!
  2. Black over-sized sunnies. Pictured here is my favorite pair by Dolce and Gabbana. These sunnies are fabulous and they have 100% UV protection!
  3. Water-resistant sunscreen. I use Nature's Gate Sport broad spectrum SPF 50 specifically for outings involving water. This sunscreen lotion is water resistant and free from fragrance, parabens, phthalates and oxybenzone. It's also cruelty-free and vegan! 
  4. Moisturizing lip balm. I've been using Human Nature's Island Kiss tinted lip balm for months and I highly recommend it. It's made of 100% natural ingredients and I especially love that it's minty! Read about Human Nature's inspiring story here
  5. Beach blanket. I love Lagu, the world's first beach-friendly blanket! Like all Lagu products, this beach blanket is sand-repellent, quick dry and allergen-free. My Lagu beach blanket comes in the "rosa" color. Read about the holistic philosophy of Lagu here
  6. iPad Air. Because to me relaxation must involve music and reading. I stored all my aural and literary entertainments in my iPad so I don't have to bring magazines or a separate player. (BONUS: I included my summer playlist below!)
My playlist for lounging poolside or on the shore:
Disclaimer: These songs are "tamer" than my usual musical inclinations but you might still hate my music, so don't say I didn't warn you!

Rammstein - Stripped 
Die Antwoord - This is Why I'm Hot (Zef Remix)
Blink 182 - Feeling This
Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Rancid - Red Hot Moon
Bauhaus - She's in Parties
Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Zephyr Song
Garbage - Milk (Tricky Mix)
The Distillers - The Hunger
Kidney Thieves - Creature Comfort


What are your must-haves for the beach and/or hot weather? How's your summer so far? 

~~~
For more goth-in-hot-weather tips and tricks, follow me via
Facebook | Twitter | Google + | Instagram | my mailing list

9 comments:

  1. Summer's been perfect so far! I've only been to the beach once. Still looking forward for a summer-ender. LOL. I'd like to own a Lagu blanket, never had one and that floppy hat too! Curious about the water-resistant sunscreen. Hehe. And lastly, I only know Blink 182 and Red Hot from your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you're having a blast this summer! This picture was also taken during my first (and currently only) trip to the beach this year but I'm determined to get more sea and sun soon :)

      Delete
  2. I love Human Heart Nature's lip balm! I never leave home without it. By the way, where can I buy Nature's Gate sunscreen? How much? I will probably going to channel the inner goth in me within a few months. Glad to know you're a goth! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Human Nature is awesome and their lip balm is a personal favorite :D I bought my Nature's Gate sunscreen at Healthy Options (SM). I forgot how much it was, though :-/

      Delete
  3. Great list you have there! If i may add to that, do bring your moisturizer when going out. it will prevent early skin aging and wrinkles. And also, bring a water bottle with you to prevent being dehydrated while out in the oceans! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Qué horror, how could I have forgotten about the moisturizer! Hahaha. But I slather it on everyday and night regardless if it's summer or not that's why I didn't put it in my beach essentials list :D But yeah, it's a good idea to bring moisturizing lotion to the beach as well! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Quite an interesting playlist you have there! I'm picking a few of those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome list! I want that exact hat but we don't have Forever 21 here in Perth ;_;

    { sparklesideup.com }

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's too bad, hun T-T But try the F21 website, they might ship to Perth :D

      Delete