Mar 24, 2015

A vibrant artisan bakery by The Abacá Group


What's your favorite thing to do on a lazy afternoon? 

Mine is hanging out with good company in a relaxing place -- plus points if there's sumptuous food around! I got to enjoy these three (and more!) in Abacá Baking Company, a relatively new bakery by The Abacá Group.

Nestled in The Crossroads in Banilad, Abacá Baking Company shares the tasteful ambiance and sophisticated service that have become synonymous with The Abacá Group. This upscale bakery prides itself with a mouthwatering assortment of handcrafted goods made from premium and locally sourced ingredients. Click on READ MORE to know about my experience.

Abacá Baking Company  is cozy and inviting, perfect for breakfasts, brunches and casual get-togethers. Walking into this shop was a unique experience in itself. Their breads and pastries, openly displayed on baskets and trays, instantly caught my eye. And the whimsical artworks adorning the bakery made my heart sing! The paintings, by the way, are by the award-winning local creative group Happy Garaje; even the menu clipboards are handpainted works of art! 

My cousin and I headed to Abacá Baking Company  one Friday afternoon. It was a laidback get-together well spent on interesting conversations and great food. We ordered and shared the following:
Lamington, PHP 100/piece (about USD 2.20). This is a small square chocolate-coated cake covered in shredded coconut. The attendant recommended this Australian dessert when I asked him what their bestseller was. My cousin and I loved it! The coconut shreds added a sweet and exotic twist to the perfectly moist chocolate sponge cake. I should have gotten us one each if I knew we would finish it so quickly! 
Strawberry shortcake, PHP 195/piece (about USD 4.36). This was one of the first pastries that caught my eye. I instantly knew that I was going to order the strawberry shortcake because I simply could not get over how delicious and dainty it looked on the countertop. I'm happy to say that it tasted as good as it looked! It was soft, moist and the sweetness was just right. 
Bacon and cheese bread, PHP 55/piece, (about USD 1.23). I'm not sure of the exact name of this bread but I'm certain it had bacon and cheese. I wasn't too fond of it, though. I love bacon (who doesn't?) and especially cheese but the dough was too overpowering that I couldn't taste the two. Also, the bread tasted soggy and uncooked on the inside D:
Chat-en-Oeuf Rouge, PHP 295 for the 187 mL bottle, (about USD 6.60). I love that they have wines in "petite" bottles. My cousin who is the wine connoisseur said that this red wine too sour. I have to agree but we still enjoyed it and had no trouble finishing the bottle :) 
Abacá Baking Company has certainly upgraded the usual bakery and cafe experience. It is such a happy place! I will return soon, especially to try out the croissants which everybody seems to be raving about. 



Good to know: 
  • Aside from breads and pastries, Abacá Baking Company also serves hearty meals and salads.
  • The bakery has two floors. Meals and more intimate gatherings are best enjoyed at the upper level. 
  • Wifi: available
  • Parking: available (The Crossroads parking lot)

Abacá Baking Company
The Crossroads,
Banilad, Cebu City

Opens daily from 7AM to 7PM
Contact: Website | Facebook | (032) 262 0969


~~~
Discover exciting places to eat by following Coffee, Tea or Death on
Facebook | Twitter | Google + | Instagram | my mailing list

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a cozy place! I love the handpainted menus and the strawberry delight! I'm all for happy places. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is happy and cozy! Their open displays for pastries make the place more homey and unique from most cafes. It's also great that they support local art :)

    ReplyDelete