Feb 22, 2015

A very fluffy afternoon at Cat Cafe, the first in Cebu!


A cat cafe is a type of shop or restaurant that has live, domesticated cats which customers can interact with. The first cat cafe opened in Taiwan and quickly gained popularity in other countries especially in Japan. In fact, Tokyo is home to 37 cat cafes.

If you're a cat lover in Cebu, you'll be thrilled to know that the city now has its own cat cafe! Cat Cafe in Guadalupe is a new coffee shop where you can take pictures, play and interact with its resident Persian cats. Click on READ MORE to know more about the first cat cafe in Cebu.

My friend, Camille, and I decided to have lunch at Cat Cafe one Saturday. She was the one who suggested the place to me knowing that I love cats.


I have three cats (Lucy, Simba and Lestat) at my home in the province and I would be very happy to have at least one of them live with me. Unfortunately, my current living arrangement (i.e. renting an apartment in the middle of the city) makes it difficult for me to have any pets - especially as hyperactive as my three cats. That said, I can understand the appeal of cat cafes for urban dwellers who have no time or space to keep any furry felines as pets. 


Cat cafes offer busy urbanites the opportunity to enjoy the cuteness and companionship of cats without the hassle of having to take care of them. It's no different for Cat Cafe, all you need to do is walk into this cozy little cafe to enjoy the company of its Persian cats. Of course, there are a couple of simple rules that customers need to follow. These rules are posted on the wall, be sure to read them if you decide to drop by this cute cafe.


Cat Cafe lets its cats roam freely around the shop. I was worried at first that the cats might be hyperactive but, fortunately, all cats were well behaved and calm. Some of them were content to sleep or lounge in the play shelves and others were curious enough to approach the customers.


All of them didn't mind sharing the small space with humans and even allowed us to take pictures and stroke their fluffy furs. 

 Grilled Cheese Sandwich P60 | Bacon with Asparagus P125

Cat Cafe offers food and beverages, although the choices are limited. Camille and I ordered 2 servings of their grilled cheese sandwich and one order of their bacon with asparagus.

Cappuccino Frappe P85

For drinks, I had a cappuccino frappe while Camille had a hot cappuccino (not in the picture).


Cat Cafe is quite small so we were lucky we went there early, like around the time the store opened at 12, so we had plenty of time to take pictures of the kitties and managed to choose a table. A few minutes after 1PM, the place started to get crowded with more customers so it got kinda difficult to move around.

Overall, Cat Cafe was a nice experience. I recommend this shop to anyone who loves cats and who want a different coffee shop experience.


Good to know:
  • Cat Cafe only serves snacks like grilled cheese sandwich, bacon with asparagus and some pastries and desserts
  • Price range: Food: P45-P125 / Drinks: P74-P95
  • Wifi: not available 
  • As I said, Cat Cafe is a bit small. It can seat about 15 people at most, so if you want to make the most out of your time taking pictures and playing with the cats, I suggest you go there during off-peak hours. For us it was around the shop opened.
  • They are closed on Sundays


Cat Cafe
Guadalupe, Cebu City
(It's right beside the road, near Villa Fatima Subdivision)

Open from Monday to Saturday, from 12 noon to 10PM
Contact: (032) 416 0393 | Facebook


Map snippet:

Click to zoom

~~~
Discover more unique places to hang-out by following Coffee, Tea or Death via
Facebook | Twitter | Google + | mailing list


31 comments:

  1. The only cat cafe I know is in Hong Kong. Good to know it's already in Cebu! Hurray! - Mae Cimafranca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need more cafe concepts like thisn:) We're way behind other countrie, like in Japan, they don't just have cat cafes, they have puppy cafes, owl cafes and even goat cafes! Hahahaha.

      Delete
  2. Wow, so nice that we have one in Cebu! Do they serve treats for cats too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The cats have their own bowls of treats under the cubby shelf :) This is good so customers don't have to worry about the cats taking interest on their food hahahaha

      Delete
  3. Cute cafe! But since I'm not a fan of cats, I'm not sure if I'd be interested to visit. HAHAHA! But of course pwede raman mu opt nga d muduol og cats right? Haha

    Janine
    www.itsjaninella.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can you not like cats when they're so cute and fluffy! Hahaha. Actually, the Persian cats were very tame and relaxed. Only one or two walked around the place, the rest were happily lazing on the cubby shelf. I think ang mga customer mas grabe mag duol2x and sinamok nila hahaha.

      Anyway, give the place a try :) I wasn't fond of cats myself before but then when I owned one, I realized they can be as affectionate as dogs - sometimes even more!

      Delete
  4. I went there on their 2nd day (which was right after Sinulog! haha) and I am definitely coming back very soon. This place is like heaven to me since I'm a cat lover. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that someone else has gone to Cat Cafe :) This place is definitely heaven for people who love cats but can't keep pets in their apartments or homes.

      Delete
  5. not really fond of cats but i would love to visit this place.. it's quite intriguing haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really not a pet lover, cats for that matter. But for those who do, this is your place. Better check this out! It's quite cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be honest, I'm not a pet person and was never into cats, hehe. But a cat cafe sounds really cool and interesting especially to those who love cats. It's also my first time to hear about it! Whoa, maybe there's a dog cafe too? Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pet cafes are all the rage in other countries like Japan and Taiwan :) In Japan there are dog cafes and even an owl cafe! I'm not sure if there are any other pet cafes in the Philippines, though. Cebu definitely needs one! haha

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems that Manila has decided to follow suit and join the cat cafe bandwagon. http://www.clickthecity.com/food-drink/a/25216/now-purring-in-qc-miao-cat-cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what cat breeds they have there...

      Delete
  10. I've heard great things about this place so I'd like to pay it a visit soon. I'm actually more of a dog lover but cats are a whole new level of adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to visit this place if you have the chance :) I'm a dog lover too but trust me when I say that cats are also as cuddly and friendly as dogs -- they just aren't as showy and needy hahaha.

      Delete
  11. Not into cats too but those were really cute and fluffy... I hope they are not camera shy.. hehe nice and one of a kind place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The place is one of a kind :) For now, at least. And the cats are not camera shy at all. They keep still when you take pictures of them, I think they actually like it hahaha.

      Delete
  12. I am looking forward for a Dog Cafe here in Cebu. Would also love to bring my dog inside a cafe. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I agree, Cebu needs more pet cafes :)

      Delete
  13. My life will be incomplete if I won't be able to visit this cafe! Meow! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check it out asap before it gets too hyped up! :D

      Delete
  14. omg Cat Cafe! my friend will go ballistic when I tell her about this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice place out there! How about dogs? Do you know some place? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What to ride going to that place? From colon exactly

    ReplyDelete
  17. But Cebu also needs a Hello Kitty Cafe .. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I litterally Agree! ^_^

      Delete
  18. Oomg! Went there the other day.. quite disturbed by the fact your map is flipped! Took me a while to find the place this way..

    Please change your map

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! I love your blog post :) I think you're big on cafés so why don't you try Figaro coffee house. I read about it before on http://www.webbline.com/figaro-review-your-new-favorite-hangout-place/ and after trying it, it became my favorite coffee shop instantly :) I know you'll love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey! What will I ride for me to get there? My location now is in ramos. Near Cebu Normal University

    ReplyDelete