Oct 28, 2014

Lazer Blitz Laser Tag: the first in Cebu and the Visayas!


My writer friends and I were planning a long overdue get-together and I suggested that instead of the usual dinner, drinks or karaoke we do something more physically challenging. By that I meant playing laser tag at the first laser tag place in the Visayas -- LazerBlitz Laser Tag, Parkmall. 

Trying out LazerBlitz Laser Tag at Park Mall was definitely an awesome idea. We had so much fun! Click on READ MORE to find out about LazerBlitz Laser Tag and what to expect from this exciting recreational activity!

I first learned about laser tag from watching an episode of How I Met Your Mother and I was definitely curious. My impression of this game was paintball but without the pain and the mess, I was right but laser tag is also so much more than that! Here's a quick intro about this activity via Wikipedia.
Laser tag is a team or individual sport or recreational activity where players attempt to score points by tagging targets, typically with a hand-held infrared-emitting targeting device. Infrared-sensitive targets are commonly worn by each player and are sometimes integrated within the arena in which the game is played.
Here's a less technical, more exciting definition via the official LazerBlitz website:
LaserBlitz is an exciting futuristic laser combat game. Your mission? Outscore the opponent by blasting them with your phaser gun. Focus. Strategize. Survive. 
LazerBlitz Laser Tag, Parkmall, is the first laser tag arena in the Visayas. They opened in September 1, 2014 and are currently in their soft opening. LazerBlitz Laser Tag is found at the second level of Parkmall. It's a fun place to hang out with your barkada. Across the entrance to the arena, there's a waiting area equipped with a Foosball table, air hockey table and bar.



Our group was made up of 7 people -- 4 girls and 3 boys. None of us have ever played laser tag before but the staff were helpful enough to give us the 101 of laser tag, the gear and game play. We also inquired a few days in advance (via phone call) and they were patient enough to answer all of our questions.


Here are the important things that you need to know about laser tag, based on my experience. To make things more to the point and clear, I'll use a Q&A for this post.

  • How much does laser tag at LazerBlitz Laser Tag cost?
P150 per person during weekdays and P180 per person on weekends and holidays. There are also special packages for big groups. Find out more at their website
  • What time does LaserBlitz Laser Tag open? 
They are open from 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM and their cut-off time for the last game is 8:30 PM. 
  • Is there a minimum number of people required?
We were told that a minimum of 8 players are required but I guess this really depends on how busy they are because they allowed our group of 7 to play. Also, I think if you come individually or as a group less than 8, they can combine you with another team. I suggest you ask LazerBlitz directly for more information. The contact info of LazerBlitz is available at the bottom of this post :)
  • I have no idea how to play this game, can I still participate?  
Like I said, my friends and I were all first timers but we had no trouble playing. Before the tournament starts, players are gathered together and shown a useful video about the basics of laser tag. One of the personnel will entertain your questions and help you gear up after the video.
  • What should I wear during the game? 
This is a physical activity so expect a lot of moving around, running, crouching and whatnot so make sure to wear something comfortable and easy for you to move in. I also suggest you bring an extra change of clothes in case you need to go somewhere after the game. 
  • How long does one tournament last?
The classic tagging game lasts 20 minutes. Trust me, those 20 minutes are well worth it! 
  • What happens during the game? What are the objectives?
Our group played the classic or standard tagging game. We divided ourselves into two groups -- we went for girls vs. boys. Our goal is to "tag" or shoot the players of the opposite team with our phaser guns. You score points every time you tag someone from the opposite team. The points of each team are then summed up at the end of the game to determine the winner. BTW, the girls' team lost :( But it was a close match!
  • Do I get disqualified when someone "tags" me? 
No, you stay inside the arena and play throughout the 20 minutes but when you get tagged (shot three consecutive times) you need to wait about 10 seconds to regenerate. Your phaser gun won't be able to shoot or tag anyone during this time. You should hide while waiting for your ammo to regenerate!
  • Aside from the classic game, are there other ways to play laser tag? 
Yes. There are other game styles like capture the flag. To know more about the various playing styles and the required team members, I suggest you contact Laser Blitz directly. 
  • What does the arena look like?
The arena is a maze-like room illuminated only by a few strobe lights, glow-in-the-dark paint and the blinking lights on your vest and the phaser gun. There's enough room to move around and good places to hide. 
  • Can we make reservations? 
You can reserve in advance but you need to pay in advance as well :) 
  • Any other reminders?
-Wear your vest the right way. 
-Hold your phaser gun properly (you won't be able to shoot it with only one hand!)
-If you wanna take proper pictures of you and your team, I suggest you do it before the game starts when you are less adrenaline-addled, sweaty and exhausted. 
-Be strategic and don't be afraid to move around! 
-Play nice and enjoy! 


LazerBlitz Laser Tag
2nd floor, Parkmall,
168 Ouano Ave., Mandaue Reclamation Area,
Mandaue City, Cebu

Opens daily from 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM
Contact: (032) 328-0806 | 0922-980-3029 | Facebook | Official website

~~~
Know about adventures you can do in the city and beyond by following Coffee, Tea or Death via:

Facebook | Twitter | Google + | mailing list

27 comments:

  1. Experience the thrill of outdoor laser tag skirmish in a new and exciting way. It’s an ideal activity for kids and teenagers birthday parties!

    laser tag

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess this is such a cool game to play with your friends! Thanks for sharing this info. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! You should try this out if you have the chance :)

      Delete
  3. A good place for team building as well.

    After seeing this I wanted to invited my childhood friends and play gira gira. ;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Laser tag is like an upgrade of the well-loved gira-gira game of our childhood :D you and your friends should really try this out if you have the chance!

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to try this out and my sister has been badgering me about it too. But we need more adventure buddies according to requirements. Besides, the chase would be tougher it it were only the two of us. I need comrades! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and your sister should try this! I think you can still play even if there's just two of you; the staff could combine you with another bigger group. But personally I think it's more fun if you play laser tag people you know :D.

      Delete
  5. I really would want to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, nice place to explore and have fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds fun! Is there an age limit? My 10 yo son would love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think kids will really enjoy this game (I know my 10-year-old self would ahaha)! I'm not sure if there's an age limit but based on experience, the game is not that rough but the equipment can be quite heavy.

      Just to be safe, you may contact LazerBlitz directly :) I asked them a million questions on the phone the day before our group went to play and they were kind enough to answer all of them.

      Delete
  8. ahh interesting! pang team building!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a really good alternative activity for team building! And strategy is important if you want to win so the whole team really needs to coordinate and help.

      Delete
  9. AWESOME!! I wanna try this too. I'm up to any adventure!! Feels like the hunger games, hehe, minus the elimination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I never thought of it that way but yeah it does kinda feel like The Hunger Games or Battle Royale. Lingaw lage ang concept nga only one victor in the end :D They should include that in their game play style!

      Delete
  10. My partner was fond of playing airsoft before we were a couple, and he would be ecstatic to hear about this! We'll check this out. I'm sure this is fun and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waaaa! I really want to start playing air soft! Anyway, you two should try this out :) It's fun and it's almost like air soft but without the pain!

      Delete
  11. I already heard about this but some of my friend who already tried said it wasn't really good. I'm not sure why they have said that. I better try it for myself then!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually had a free ticket during their opening at Parkmall but I lost it. So yeah, tanga2 mode. I would really love to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanna try this myself! I have no idea how to play this but I guess it's worth a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh I instantly remember a scene from Starship Troopers. I will definitely try this with my friends. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sige lang ta tan-aw ani sauna sa salida. At last! Niabot najud sa Cebu! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. ZONE LASER TAG
    Zone Laser Tag is the world’s largest designer and manufacturer of laser tag systems. Our best-selling systems are innovative, reliable and consistently above and beyond the competition. The Zone Laser Tag gaming experience is built on 27 years of thrilling kids and adults in over 850 locations worldwide.Read more: Play Zone Laser

    ReplyDelete
  17. ZONE LASER TAG
    Zone Laser Tag is the world’s largest designer and manufacturer of laser tag systems. Our best-selling systems are innovative, reliable and consistently above and beyond the competition. The Zone Laser Tag gaming experience is built on 27 years of thrilling kids and adults in over 850 locations worldwide.Read more: Play Zone Laser

    ReplyDelete