Jul 28, 2014

Dollhouse meets maid cafe at Cafe Tiala: Princess Room

Is it me or are Korean cafés sprouting all over Cebu City recently? I don't mind it though. I always enjoy trying out new places - especially places involving food! Of all the somewhat new cafés that I've heard or read about, it was Cafe Tiala: Princess Room that piqued my curiosity the most. 



Cafe Tiala sets itself apart from other Korean coffee shops in the city in that it looks like a whimsical mix between a dollhouse and a maid cafe. Keep reading to know more about this quirky, themed coffee shop. 

I first heard about Cafe Tiala: Princess Room from my friend, Camille. It sounded like the perfect place to have a much-needed girls' get-together and so we and a third girl friend, Kim, met up there one Sunday afternoon.



The things that make Cafe Tiala  immediately stand out from the sea of cafés in Cebu City are its uber-girly decors (read: pink everywhere) and their waitresses dressed in cute maid outfits complete with knee-high stockings and aprons. For a moment I felt like I was in a Lolita convention in Japan. 



Once you you step inside the cafe, the waitresses, in full maid Lolita regalia, chorus a greeting to welcome you. You will then take in the unique interiors - chandeliers on the ceiling, walls and fixtures painted pink and white and plush toys. 


Cafe Tiala is a bit small but it makes the most out of its limited space. You have a choice of sitting Indian-style on the upper lofts, in the lower decks or in one of the partitioned spaces with LCD televisions.

The girls and I stayed at the loft area and ordered our nommage. 


I had their Java Chip frap and their Tiala Sandwhich which satiated my indescribable hunger at that time.



Kim had tea (Unfortunately, I forgot what kind of tea it was!) 


Camille had a tuna sandwich and their blue lemonade.

Cafe Tiala serves food for brunch and snacks and a wide range of both hot and cold drinks. Here's a peek at some items in their menu. 



Our Cafe Tiala experience was  certainly unique! It's a great place to hang out and catch up with your girly friends. There are few things that my companions and I thought could use a little improvement, though. 

First, we felt that the service could be better. It took forever to get a waitress to attend to us and our orders took a little too long to arrive. The limited space also became problematic. At about 5PM, a crowd of about 10 people went up the loft area. That was a lot of people for such a small place and it became too noisy after that. I don't know about you, but I prefer my coffee shops quiet and relaxing. 

I would recommend you visit this place at least once even just for the experience. Also, anyone who grew up enjoying Disney princess movies and dolls and fans of Lolita and cutesy anime shows should totally check this place out. I would definitely go back there, probably at a different time so it wouldn't be so busy anymore.

Good to know:
  • Cafe Tiala serves brunch and snack items and a wide variety of drinks. 
  • Price range: 150-200
  • Wifi: limited users only
  • If you want to take pictures with great lighting or don't want to feel claustrophobic, I strongly suggest you pick one of the spots near the front of the shop where the windows are. 
  • If you want a more intimate space for your barkada, the TV rooms seem like the best option.
  • If you want to have a more relaxing experience, don't go there in their peak hours -- in our experience it was Sunday afternoon. 

Cafe Tiala
2nd Floor, The Forum Building,
Archbishop Reyes Ave., Cebu City
(it's right next to the Grand Convention)

Opens daily from 10:00 am to 12 midnight
Contact: 032-260-5503


Have you been to Cafe Tiala? What's your favorite thing about this cute coffee shop?

~~~

Get to know more cutesy Korean coffee shops and other themed cafes by following me on
Facebook / Twitter / Google + / my mailing list (on the right sidebar!)

No comments:

Post a Comment